Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Look at My Eyes"

If you know me, you know that when my children speak to me I ask them to look at my eyes. I also learned from a wise mom and friend, Jen, to not speak to family in the house if you cannot see their eyes. This means no yelling upstairs, no "disciplining" from another room in the house, no apologies unless you are looking the person in the eyes, as well as forgiving with eye contact. It is such a great communication tool.

There have been times when I am speaking to other adults when I want to say this: "Look at my eyes." I have had conversations with adult friends, mommies themselves, that have a hard time focusing on conversation and really listening. It is a sad thing to be speaking while watching the wandering eyes of a friend.  It is also convicting as a listener. To listen with my eyes as well as my ears. To let my friend truly know that they matter. That I am thankful for the time I have with them.

I know that as mothers our children are always on our mind while we are with other mommies. What are they doing? Where are they hiding? What is THAT they are putting in their mouth? Is that MY child crying? What could that be dripping from my child's leg? And oh, how this list could go on and on.

My point is, when your friends are speaking to you, offer the same respect to them as you would want offered to you. Look at their eyes. Listen. Listening is a beautiful part of friendship.

May all of our conversations be heard today and may we all be better listeners!

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future." Proverbs 19:20

No comments: